Observe | Understand | Respond

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Another Example Of Living From The Inside-out


Another example of of how we all live from inside-out comes from my early days in the Air Force.

There was a sign in the shop I worked in, kinda like the memes that people used to fax before, and as they are now shared on Twitter, or Facebook.

It showed a person at the base gate asking, “What’s this base like?”

The answer was a question, “What was the last base you were at like?”

The guy at the gate responded, and was told, “That’s what’s it like here, too.”

I remember reading that cartoonish sign and being a bit perplexed as to it’s point?

I didn’t have enough life experience at that point to grasp it’s meaning.

Maybe it was the shop supervisor who clued me in on it’s meaning.

I’m curious and always asking questions.

It’s a basic observation of human behavior.

Decades later, when I ran my own business, I used this understanding in my interview process,

“Tell me what your last job was like?”

A very effective question in determining if the person was going to be someone I wanted to hire.

Where ever you go, there you are.

No comments: